We have advised leading local and foreign insurance corporations on a number of transactions involving aspects of mergers and acquisitions and reorganisations as well as in relation to insurance regulatory advice.
Among others, we have advised a leading locally owned Malaysian insurance company listed on the main board of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad in respect of an internal corporate restructuring which involved the streamlining of its general and life insurance businesses and the de-merger of its non-core businesses. We have also represented a leading global insurer in respect of its RM320 million voluntary takeover offer of a Malaysian insurance company listed on the main board of Bursa Securities.
In addition, we have also advised on the following transactions in relation to the Malaysian insurance industry:
- Acting for a Taiwanese financial services group in its proposed takeover of the insurance arm of a leading Malaysian financial services group.
- Advising a joint venture between a leading global insurer and a publicly listed Malaysian financial services group in its proposed acquisition of a life insurer.
- Representing a Malaysian publicly listed licensed insurer with respect to a RM100 million rights issue.
- Advising a leading US based insurance corporation in respect of its proposed acquisition of share capital in a Malaysian public company listed on the Bursa Securities.
- Acted for a German insurance company in its proposed establishment in Malaysia and its subsequent acquisition of a stake in a local insurance company.
- Advised a leading Italian insurance corporation in its proposed investment and establishment of a presence in Malaysia including issues relating to shareholding and corporate structure, licensing and other regulatory requirements.
- Represented a Japanese insurer on issues relating to consumer protection, claims and compensation as well as product liability law in Malaysia.
- Advised a Canada based life insurer with respect to advertising, tax, exchange control, appointment of insurance agents and brokers and the exposure of a permanent establishment in Malaysia.
- Represented a US based life insurance company in respect of viatical settlement business in Malaysia.